Psalm 23 is known as a psalm of David. It is said to be about David’s maturity, but also a remembrance of his youth as a shepherd. Sometimes we don’t want to remember our past, but at times God wants us to reflect on what He has done in our life.
A few months ago I heard a teaching on the Good Shepherd that has stayed with me . I marvel at the length to which the shepherd cares for his sheep. Jesus is our good shepherd. The Lord presented me with a circumstance I did not want to do, or go thru last week. I fought my emotions. But after going thru it, this message has become clear to me that as God took me back to face my past, Jesus in every possible way has been, and still is, MY shepherd. Here are some points how he shepherds. He is a………………………………..
1. Personal Shepherd –Ps 23:1 “The LORD is my shepherd.” This speaks of Jehovah God. Jn10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.” V-14 “I know My sheep, & am known by My own.” This speaks of a personal relationship. Do you know your shepherd’s voice? Can you say the Lord is my Shepherd?
2. Providing Shepherd-v- 2 “He makes me to lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters.” He is a guide. The sheep didn’t need to know where provision was; all they needed to know was where the shepherd was. He provides both our physical & emotional needs. He guides us to what we need. He provides from food to peace in our life. We will not be in want.
3. Pardoning Shepherd –v-3“He restores my soul.” He knows sheep are dumb and by nature wander. We too do the same when we get our eyes off the shepherd to what we think is greener fields. He’s a tender, loving God always ready to forgive if we confess our sins. Why? Because He cares. He is interested in every circumstance. We are important to Him. He desires intimate fellowship.
4. Protecting Shepherd –v-4 “ Though I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For YOU are with me.”The The shepherd slept at the door so no animal could cross into the fold to get the sheep unless they didn’t go thru him first. Our shepherd never leaves us. Guzik states,”Yet when following the LORD as shepherd, one may still walk thru troubled and fearful times. It is the conscious presence of our Lord as shepherd that makes it bearable”
5. Preparing Shepherd –v-5 “You prepare a table before me.” He’s inviting you to the table as host, cleansing and refreshing you. Despite the dangers , David writes here we can enjoy the richness of our host’s goodness.The psalm ends with assurance that we will enjoy the presence of the LORD forever. In OT times, to eat and drink at ones table created a bond .So to be God’s guest is to be more that an aquaintence, invited for a day. It is to live with Him. Reflect on your life and allow the Lord to show you the numerous times He has guided, provided, pardoned, protected and prepared for you . Praise and thank Him for being your GOOD SHEPHERD.